In the movie The Bucket List we learn that life is too short to simply exist. We need things to aspire to. We need excitement and adventure. We need to truly live our lives and live purposely rather than by default.
As we’re preparing to go on our next adventure — we’ve sold our rental property and our home — I felt that it was time to check in with each other to see if we knew what was on the other’s bucket list.
Steve and I have travelled to many wonderful destinations and we’ve had the great fortune to be able to do things that many people only dream of. It’s one of the benefits of selling incentive travel to corporations. Incentive travel is a tool used to inspire people to go above and beyond to achieve the corporate goals — people are rewarded with lovely trips with experiences they could not get on their own. Of course, I need to go and visit these places and try these things so that I know whether to recommend them or not (I know, someone has to do it though 😉
I love travelling — I live to travel and right now we’re in the process of transforming our lives so that travel is the center of what we do.
One of the items — actually many of the items — on my bucket list are to spend at least a month living and working in new places. This month, the day after the house is sold, I leave for Jamaica. I’ll be gone a month and Steve will join me for 18 days. This trip represents the start of our living and working around the world dream. I will be writing my new business book and I’ll also be visiting resorts to check them out while I’m there alone. I’m really looking forward to it.
So back to the Bucket List — Steve had a really hard time coming up with 25 things and I had many more than 25 on my list, so we decided to just go with what we came up with. After all, it’s supposed to be a fun and enlightening process — it’s not supposed to be like a final exam!
Here is Steve’s Bucket List
- Be a fighter pilot for a day at Combat Fighter USA
- Jump from a plane
- Naked bungee jumping — naked because it’s free!
- Go to a NASCAR Race
- Go to an Isle of Man race
- See the Red Bull Air Races in Dubai
- Go on an African Safari
- Participate in a Classic Motorcycle race
- Not to be an employee anymore and to make his own hours
- Live and work in the Caribbean
- Travel across Canada in the RV and make money as we go
- Ok — I saw Carol’s list… I think I will follow her. Pretty cool places to go.
Here is Carol’s Bucket List
- Drive race car
- Live in the different spots in the Caribbean for a month at a time
- Live in the South of France for a year
- Live in Tuscany for a year
- Live in Thailand for a couple of months
- Live in Sydney Australia for a couple of months
- Go back to Rio De Janeiro
- Live in Buenos Aires for a couple of months
- Fly in a private jet
- Learn to Scuba Dive
- Cross Canada in the RV when it’s above freezing
- Speak on stage with an audience of > 3,000
- Have dinner with Richard Branson
- Stay in an over-the-water bungalow in Tahiti
- Go on the Paul Gauguin Cruise in the South Pacific
- Go on an African Safari
- Take a river cruise through Russia
- Take a river cruise through Cambodia & Vietnam
- Go to Bermuda and Aruba to finish the Kokomo Song
- Ride a segway
- Ski in Europe
- Live in Whistler for spring skiing
- See the polar bears in Churchill
- Visit Bali
Visit the Grand Canyon
As you can see, some of the bucket list items can be done while we’re living in the RV but most of them will require us to park the RV, pack a suitcase or two and jump on a plane. Looking over this list gives me great joy — it gives me things to look forward to. It gives me reason to not quit when things aren’t going as well as I’d hoped.
I love experiencing new things – especially when they are good experiences! So, we’ll see how many items we can cross off our list over the next few years. I can’t wait to see the naked bungee jumping though — I’ll be sure to have my camera with me for that one 🙂
What’s on your bucket list?